Did you know that home sellers that use a real estate professional on average get 16% more in the sale of their home? In rare instances, some people are able to sell their own homes without the services of a real estate agent but for most it is tricky business.
Here are a few reasons why you can’t sell your own home.
1. A home for sale needs to be in the MLS (multiple listing service). You need to be a licensed real estate broker or agent to be able to put a home in the MLS. Not having your home in the MLS is problematic, it will be difficult to advertise your home on many home search engines and websites.
2. Many real estate agents won’t show homes that are for sale by owner. For a real estate agent it can be difficult to deal directly with a home seller. Agents are used to receiving a commission on the sale and without a written agreement there is no guarantee that the buyer’s agent will be compensated for his or her services. Not having the cooperation of local agents significantly limits the pool of potential buyers.
3. Many buyers do not want to deal directly with the seller. Potential buyers usually feel uncomfortable looking at a home if the owner is present. They will also be less likely to make an offer if they have to negotiate directly with the seller. Real estate agents create a much needed buffer between the seller and the buyer.
4. A real estate transaction is not always easy. Many times there are potential liability issues. Sellers would need to be well schooled in the real estate laws especially surrounding escrow and disclosure requirements.
First, a mortgage is a loan from a lender to a borrower to buy a piece of real property (a fancy way to say house, land, etc). The interest on the mortgage is the percentage of money the borrower agrees to pay the lender each year, in return for lending the money.
Here is where it gets complicated, the lender wants to loan to be affordable for the borrower so they spread the interest out over time. This is called amortization. Amortization is the amount of money that goes toward principal (the amount of the loan) and interest. This amount changes over time because the interest owed is spread over time.
There is a booklet put out by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development that explains the mortgage and interest process. You can find the booklet here.
Now often your payment is more than just the principal and interest. A monthly mortgage payment is often called a PITI payment. No, not pity even though you might need pity when looking at your loan statement. PITI stands for:
Principal – the loan balance
Interest – interest owed on that balance
Real estate Taxes – taxes assessed by different government agencies to pay for school construction, fire department service, etc.
Property Insurance – insurance coverage against theft, fire, hurricanes and other disasters
There may also be other fees depending on the kind of mortgage you have. Your monthly payment may also include private mortgage insurance (PMI).
Remember there is a lot to know about mortgages beyond the rate so be sure to talk to a mortgage professional to make sure you fully understand your payment options.
Westford MA ListingsWestford, MA - $369,500
100 Jimney Dr - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/21 hour agoWestford, MA - $199,900
6 Beatrice - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:12 hours agoWestford, MA - $599,900
79 Tadmuck Rd - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/14 hours agoWestford, MA - $360,000
9 Forrest Road - Single-Family - Gambrel - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/114 hours agoWestford, MA - $709,900
57 Buckboard Drive - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/117 hours ago
Chelmsford MA ListingsChelmsford, MA - $279,900
10 Queen St - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:11 hour agoChelmsford, MA - $360,000
97 Westford St. - Single-Family - Multi-Level - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/13 hours agoChelmsford, MA - $190,000
181 Littleton Road - Condo - Garden - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2Chelmsford, MA - $1,900
184 Tyngsboro Rd - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Chelmsford, MA - $249,900
255 North Rd - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/1
Lowell MA ListingsLowell, MA - $128,888
110 Branch St - Condo - Low-Rise - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:248 minutes agoLowell, MA - $539,888
110 Branch St - Multi-Family - Units:5 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:450 minutes agoLowell, MA - $484,900
180 Holyrood Ave - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/12 hours agoLowell, MA - $189,900
34 Clare Street - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:32 hours agoLowell, MA - $309,900
143 18Th St - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours ago
- Kids give first ade to Branch Street fire survivors July 29, 2014Fifteen local first-graders and kindergarteners took part in a lemonade stand on Coldspring Road in Westford on July 19 to raise money for the survivors of the Branch Street fire through Lowell Wish Project. […]
- Lowell house damaged by tree, another possibly hit by lightning during strong storms July 29, 2014Dallas Younkman and Haley Bradley moved from Florida to Beech Street in Lowell on Monday. […]
- Completion of Broadway bridge construction delayed to 2015 July 27, 2014Broadway Street bridge conversion to one-way: Due to reduced weight limits, Boott Hydropower, Inc. has installed a one-way detour, diverting traffic coming into downtown around the bridge via Walker Street to Pevey Street to School Street. […]
- Drunk Driver Caught After Passing Car, Westford Cops Say July 25, 2014Westford police on July 9 charged a Woburn man with OUI after he allegedly passed a vehicle while speeding. […]
- Kids give first ade to Branch Street fire survivors July 29, 2014
- Arrest Log: 7/31/2014 July 31, 2014Arrests are provided by local police departments. The Sun does not remove arrests from this log or www.lowellsun.com . […]
- Market Basket ready to hire July 31, 2014A decorated car in support of Artie T., as well as a "Boycott MB" sign outside the store as employees continued protests outside the Market Basket on Water Street in Fitchburg on Tuesday. […]
- Billerica man arrested at gunpoint after party July 31, 2014A Billerica man was arrested at gunpoint Sunday as he allegedly walked out of the woods off Connolly Road carrying a loaded shotgun that police say belonged to another man, who had been kicked out of a party and returned with the same shotgun. […]
- Calling all singers July 30, 2014The community choir, sponsored by Central Congregational Church of Chelmsford, will present "Gloria," by Antonio Vivaldi, on Sunday, Sept. […]
- Arrest Log: 7/31/2014 July 31, 2014
- Lowell woman struck by alleged repeat drunk driver: 'Lucky to be alive' August 1, 2014Walking in the crosswalk on Mammoth Road on her way to the park on Monday afternoon, Samantha Scanlon's quiet summer day was interrupted when she heard her sister scream. […]
- Judge: No bail for Lowell suspect in murder-try case August 1, 2014Despite a defense plan that would free Johanna McLellan, who is charged with attempted murder, with counseling and medication to help with the suspect's escalating violence, a Lowell District Court judge ordered McLellan held without bail as a danger to the victim and society. […]
- Multiple OUI offenders driving us to distraction August 1, 2014What does it take to get habitual offenders off the streets? Two stories on the front page of Wednesday's Sun just add to the frustration many of us have with the inability of law enforcement to do just that, either due to legal loopholes or the state's own oversight shortcomings. […]
- Lowell man August 1, 2014A 58-year-old city man with two pending cases involving the same victim is being held in jail after he allegedly got drunk and assaulted the victim when she hid the booze from him, according to prosecutors. […]
- Lowell woman struck by alleged repeat drunk driver: 'Lucky to be alive' August 1, 2014